FROM: U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
Detained U.S. Citizen Saeed Abedini
Press Statement
John Kerry
Secretary of State
Washington, DC
March 22, 2013
I am deeply concerned about the fate of U.S citizen Saeed Abedini, who has been detained for nearly six months and was sentenced to eight years in prison in Iran on charges related to his religious beliefs. I am disturbed by reports that Mr. Abedini has suffered physical and psychological abuse in prison, and that his condition has become increasingly dire. Such mistreatment violates international norms as well as Iran’s own laws.
I am also troubled by the lack of due process in Mr. Abedini’s case and Iran’s continued refusal to allow consular access by Swiss authorities, the U.S. protecting power in Iran. I welcome reports that Mr. Abedini was examined by a physician and expect Iranian authorities to honor their commitment to allow Mr. Abedini to receive treatment for these injuries from a specialist outside the prison. The best outcome for Mr. Abedini is that he be immediately released.
Search This Blog
Following are links to various U.S. government press releases.
Counterterrorism
White-Collar Crime
Popular Posts
-
FROM: NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION Scientists at the H.J. Andrews LTER site, one of 26 such NSF sites, study water resources. Long-Term...
-
http://www.state.gov/secretary/remarks/2013/09/213692.htm
-
Keeping up with the Containers
-
FROM: U.S. DEFENSE DEPARTMENT Libraries Remain Centerpieces of Morale, Welfare Programs By Donna Miles American Forces Press Service ...
-
FROM: U.S. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE Research, Engineering Team Adjusts to Fiscal Uncertainty By Amaani Lyle American Forces Press Service ...